Monday, January 18, 2010

Alcohol Doesn't Get You Drunk, Bartenders Do!



Last Thursday was the school's Icebreaker party. Let me explain that in a country where you can drink at 18, icebreakers are MUCH MUCH more fun. Basically, that is how it should be done. The first part of the icebreaker was pretty formal in our dining room which they cleared out and put in buffet table and tall tables to stand around. Everyone dressed up in our lovely business professional outfits and spent three hours drinking free wine and eating AMAZING food. The director gave a little speech introducing people and everyone mingled for a couple of hours.
We headed back to the dorms and changed into party clothes (haha jeans and heels for me). A bunch of the WSU students started drinking in our rooms and then some headed to Chaos around ten, while a Eli, Lindsey, and I headed to a party of the 6th floor (rooms on the 6th floor are more expensive, much bigger, and have their own balconies). I ended up meeting

some great people and braving the cold night air. After that we headed downstairs where I proceeded to dance the night away and meet many many people (the point of the icebreaker right?). Also experienced my first B52 which is a layered shot that is on fire and that you take with a straw. Tastes like ice cream!
On Saturday was my bartending class in Montreux. I headed to the train station a little before eight and met up with the other students. The train ride is about and hour and half. I started getting a little trainsick (I think I made that word up?) when we hit Lake Geneva. But the lake was absolutely gorgeous and the town is picturesque! We walked from the train station to Pravda Vodka Bar. Funny that it is a Russian Bar owned by someone from Norway where everything is in English. The bar is closed during the day so the owner taught us about various alcohols and what they are made of and where they originate from. He believe in free pouring
which is training your employees to measure with their eye by counting. Only accurate with alot of practice, but in the long run a bartender can make many more drinks quickly without having to stop and measure everything. So we would count and pour and then measure what we poured to double check (just with water). After about an hour of so of this we took a lunch break.
I tagged along with Christin and her friend that is doing her internship in Montreux. We went to Kebab (pronounced K-Bob) which is a very popular fast food here known for doner sandwiches. Which is when the meet is on this rotating pole with the heat hitting it from the side (doesn't look appetizing, but it is). With our sandwiches in tow we walked down to the lake and chatted (while I gazed wide eyed at the amazing city).
When we got back to the bar, we each took turns actually getting behind the bar and making drinks! This was so fun each of us made a different drink and then passed it around for everyone to try the drink. We ended up spending two hours making drinks and trying them. After we were done I wanted to stick around to see the city a little bit, but instead I headed back to Brig with the group (didn't feel like getting lost in this city my first week in Switzerland). I am actually starting to understand the train system though.

No comments:

Post a Comment