Sunday, January 10, 2010

Getting Here


Ashley and I flew into Zurich on Thursday and landed about 11am local time. Which was about 2am back home. After we got our bags, which thankfully were not lost, we headed to our hotel. From the directions we had, we thought we had to get to the main station. A really nice women helped us get from the airport to the main station. We were pretty much lost so this was a really good thing. At the main station is took us a while to figure out we had to get on the 3 and ride it pretty much across town. Our hotel the Mercure Stoller was really nice with a restaurant downstairs. The funny thing was that we planned on going out and checking out Zurich, but we ended up sleeping for 14 hours! The next morning we checked out went back to the main station to get the train to Brig.

Ash at Breakfast

Me at Breakfast


The train to Brig was really interesting seeing all the different towns and snow along the way. We followed the directions to the school, which isnt far, but it was good that Ashley was wearing her wazzu sweatshirt because one of the RA's found us and directed us to the dorm.

Today Ash and I walked around quite a bit of Brig, but almost everything is closed on Sunday. There is 4 different grocery stores in town, little clothing shops, shoe stores, and a bunch of restaurants. There is a pizza place, thai restaurant, bakeries, and local places too. We walked by a couple of bar and pubs as well and a really cool looking church. I cant wait to explore more when everything is actually open.

The grocery store is really different! However, I think im going to enjoy the entire isle of Swiss Chocolate. I have already accomplished eating my fair share of Toblerons, which are pretty amazing. The first milk I bought was accidently goats milk because everything is in German and I couldn't figure out which on to buy. At least I bought frosted flakes! It had Tony the Tiger so at least I could tell what it was. Since I have been here I have really been wanting fruit. This is weird because I don't really eat fruit. A group of us went to the grocery store the other day and we all bought apples (I found this ironic all being from Washington) and we got
laughed at because we didn't know we were supposed to weigh them ourselves and it prints out a little tag for them. Other than that it hasnt been too bad, the grocery store even sells alcohol there which is nice. Some of its not too bad, but the Jack Daniels was $40 for the bottle (swiss francs and the dollar are pretty much equal right now, which is nice not having to convert). But they had pink vodka, possibly going to have to try that one. One thing I didnt think about is that all the books and magazines here are in German, should have brought more with me. Whats funny is they have the same magazines here with Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, and Lady Gaga.

The dorms here are SO NICE! Downstairs there are kitchens, workout room, coffee bar, and a night club that is open on the weekends.



3 comments:

  1. LOL this sounds similar to my expereince in Israel. I'm sure a street market will happen, there you will find fresh cheap fruit. Stick with vodak, its the universial 'Busch Light' and your local public library usually has a small english section, to satisfy your reading needs. I wonder if your Thai place has Koi Soi, I wonder if my Thai place has Koy Soi? We must report back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey so it is so funny that the first few days are the same for every WSU student! I bought frosted flakes the first time too because of seeing tony the tiger. HAHA. and I also didnt know about printing the tag. Dont try the pink vodka. Especially if you want to get drunk. Waste of money! Spend the money on JD. HAHA. Hope your having a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie- I was wondering the exact same thing about Koi Soy when I walked by the Thai place, sadly I think it may only be in Pullman! I didnt know that about the library, but I think Im going to check out the school library because everything there is in English.

    Zack- Good to know about the Pink Vodka. Im sure we will end up getting JD because thats Ashley's favorite! So far, Im having a great time!

    ReplyDelete